Sunday 30 December 2012

Tang Marg Sunday 30 Dec


Dinner last night at Bashir’s was in traditional Kashmiri style which, means we sat on the floor and ate.  There was chicken, mutton balls, vegetables, rice and chapatti.  In India mutton refers to goat. 
The food was good (I only had the veggies) but it is unnerving to eat when the whole extended family is watching.  Only Bashir ate with us, the others ate after us in the next room, another Kashmiri tradition. 
Last night we slept on two doonas and a blanket and four on top, slightly modified from the night before by adding an extra blanket and long johns.  We were toasty and slept well.  
Manzoor’s daughter brings us breakfast of toast and coffee.  Her name is Sheken and she is lovely.  She calls me madam and tells me I am beautiful.  How cute.  Jim says she just says this because we are different looking.  I said, no Jim it is because I am beautiful.  How rude.
The coffee is made on milk with sugar.  Not at all how I have coffee.  Normally I have soy decafe, how different can it be.  It is the way it is.
The power came on long enough to recharge the laptop so now that we are back on line I was able to post a few blogs.  
Walked up to the market to check out the mayhem, it is entertaining.  Enjoyed a cup of khawa (Kashmiri tea) at Downhill Restaurant. 
We are back at the guesthouse (still no power) waiting for Bashir’s phone call to see if we are able to move up to Gulmarg this afternoon. 
Skehen

The traffic mayhem

Walking up to market, the sun was trying to come out

Tradesman cutting timber for Manzoor's renovations




1 comment:

  1. Hi Happy. I am so loving your blog....you are an amazing writer.....maybe your future should be in travelling and writing full time :-)

    Keep your daily updates coming.... I look forward to reading them every day. Had withdrawals when you were offline for a few days.

    It's NYE here today, so Happy New Year to you both. Stay safe and warm.

    xxxxx

    ReplyDelete