Thursday 17 January 2013

It's snowing! Thursday 17 Jan 2013

We woke up this morning to snow and it is still snowing (5pm).
Jim spent the morning training with the guides, finding the avalanche beacons (aka bodies) while I spent it on the laptop emailing and generally lazing around the hotel room, you know how easy it is to waste hours on the computer.

Before lunch Jim came and got me and we had a couple of runs before heading indoors.  The snow is predicted to fall all night and tomorrow.

After lunch I walked down to the market for supplies of fruit, chips and chocolates.  The market place was quiet due to the snow, the locals are bunkering down for a cold cold night.

Due to the bear adventure the hotel staff, who we are quite friendly with are keeping close tabs on our (more so me) whereabouts.  As I was walking out the door four of them ask where are you going, where is Mr Jim.  I explained I am only walking to the market, no black bear will get me there, don't worry.
A little while later there I was sitting in Mr Khan's cloth house (a shopkeeper whom we have befriended) having a chat and Aftab, our adopted son (as he calls himself) from the hotel walks in.  I said have you come looking for me????  He smiles and says no, I needed to buy a pen.


Following Monday's bear adventure my skiing has been more leisurely.  I went for a x country ski on Tuesday around the golf course and yesterday met up with Ben (Dad) and Kia, and their friends Daz and Hamish (3) who have just arrived for a couple of runs under the gondola.  Unfortunately Tarinna had Delhi belly so Adele was staying indoors with her.

The girls are keen, they rang me this morning to ask if I would like to go skiing through the trees down to the temple with them, it is a popular run when it is snowing.  I declined, but it was lovely of them to ask me.  I will catch up with them over the next two days to have a run and say goodbye as they are leaving on Monday.  I will  miss them.
Looking out of our hotel room at the falling snow.

Same view, different angle.







1 comment:

  1. Great news about the snow! Looks very magical from where I sit but then I would say that I guess as bush fires engulf many parts of Oz. Dave was in Sydney all of last week & Friday it hit 46.5! Ok if you are near water but otherwise too hot for me! We just spent a beautiful day by the river in Warby for Lucy's 16th (whole family gathering), warm with a gentle breeze. Isn't it amazing to think we are 2 extremes of the globe right now!
    Glad to hear there have been no more bear sightings & that you are being well looked after by the locals Hap! Hope Mr Jim is fine too. Cheers for now dear friend xxx

    ReplyDelete