Monday 7 January 2013

Gulmarg 7 Jan 13 Monday


Will someone please stop that dog from barking!
Dogs roam free all over India.  They are not normally a threat to humans.  They fight amongst themselves for rights over the rubbish, territory and girl dogs.
Last night one barked for over an hour from 12.30 to 1.30am, I think I feel asleep about then.  It has happened a few times before at various places we have stayed. 
The dogs laze in the sun along the home trail.  The other day we were skiing down the home trail and one got up to run after Jim, then he turned and saw me and did the same.  I had to swerve to miss it.  Looking back it just laid down again.  What a waste of energy.
Skiing the last bit of the home trail, you have to dodge the dog poos.
It could only happen in India! 

Jim skied this morning, to check on the first lot of Ski Himalaya guests. They arrived yesterday afternoon.  Unfortunately it hasn't snowed since we arrived so the snow conditions are not ideal.  There is so much snow but because it is not groomed it is cut up and a challenge to ski.  
I stayed in to rest, India has caught up with me if you know what I mean so I am having to stay close to home.
Needing fresh air we walked to the market this afternoon. On the way back had to stop at a "pay and use" toilet block 5rps (.08 cents) unfortunately the pipes are frozen so there is no water so I had to go and ask for water to flush.  The toilet attendant asked hot or cold water, I replied whatever is easier it is only for flushing.  It was a odd scene, there I was asking for water standing by the toilet door and he is asking me "am I here skiing by myself".  I explained no, my husband is waiting outside for me.  

Dogs lazing around

View from end of market

View from top of phase 2 (top of mountain) yesterday

All the dogs are well fed
When I get outside Jim is chatting to a young Kashmiri guy.  Jim was taking a photo of the dog in the rubbish trailer and the young guy came over and said "dog not human" meaning why are you taking a picture of him.  The difference between what we think is odd and what they think is normal.  

4 comments:

  1. Come to my house and my dogs will gladly bark all night for you especially when they are on the hunt for a wombat. I vote for the blog to be written more than once a week. What do others think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once a week suits me perfectly. Great to see the photos again Happy. I use earplugs, but I guess you have tried them. Also ask for help of st.francis who takes care of animals etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog, I saw a doco the other day about Leopards in India. Apparently they eat quite a few of the stray dogs at night. Maybe that's what they are barking at...

    ReplyDelete