Saturday 26 January 2013

Happy Australia Day!

It is another beautiful sunny day here in Gulmarg.

Neither of us is skiing today, which is not unusual for me but it is for Jim. The tongue of his ski boot broke yesterday so he has tried repairing it today.  If the repairs don't work he may have to hunt around to hire a pair of boots to see the season out??????  See what happens tomorrow.

We walked up to Highland Park for lunch.  It is a lovely old hotel, ornately decorated in the old English manner.  It would be a nice place to stay,  just a bit of a hike to the gondola.  The food is good and an added bonus one of the few places that serves beer.

A big male monkey was on guard at the gate walking up the hotel.  It is best to ignore the monkeys they can attack if provoked.  We did not provoke it but I think a group of monkeys below startled him with a cry so he had a go at us.  Jim was ready to punch it.  I started yelling at it, now that I am practised in dealing with the local wildlife I was not going to be pushed around.

Lunch was good.  Jim had chicken kanti (chicken pieces cooked in tomato, onion and capsicum) and nan.  I had a grilled vegetable (tomato, onion and cucumber) and cheese sandwich.  My staple drink besides tea and water is lemon soda plain, which is soda water with lime juice yes lime even though the name is lemon.  It is offered sweet (sugar added) or sour (salt added), I like it plain.

Walking back to our hotel we followed the poma (beginner) slopes where the locals and Indian tourists like to ski.  The poma had stopped for lunch (that can only happen in India) so we walked beside the poma track.  We were trying to give advice to two young boys that were skiing straight down the slope, to prevent them from head injuries.  No turns just straight down.  They were bouncing off the snow and it wasn't that soft.  It makes you cringe.

We are now back in the hotel soaking up the sun which beams in through the windows.  We are so lucky to have been given this room with the sun and wifi access.  Normally wifi is only available in the foyer but our room is straight above the reception desk where the wifi is.

Looking down the poma slope from Highland Park

View from Highland Park






1 comment:

  1. I like the fact that you are now the monkey boss. I had 2 indian cross paths this weekend - 1 with watching the best Exotic Marigold Hotel not knowing it was in India and also reading THe Village by Nikita Lalwani which I was given for my bday and hadnt picked up til now. Indian prison though not sure I can keep going! Bit too real/harsh for me xx Lemon drink sounds good.

    ReplyDelete