Tuesday 22 January 2013

A day in Gulmarg - Tuesday 22 Jan 2013

It is a beautiful sunny (but cold) day here in Gulmarg.

I went for a xcountry ski this morning around the golf course.  Had to wait a bit for the Indian army to disperse, they were also doing a loop.  Because I am clumsy I didn't want to embarrass myself and fall over in front of them nor did I want to accidentally knock a solider setting his gun off, they have them slunk over their shoulders.  It was a spectacular morning looking back over Affarwat and the surrounding hills.

Jim spent the morning doing more avalanche beacon searches outside the Ski Himalaya ski shop (hut) with the guides.  On my way back from my xcountry ski I went pass the hut to see what the boys were up to.  Had to have the obligatory chai which was nice sitting in the sun watching the boys look like sniffer dogs.  I have gotten use to drinking milk in tea but I still ask without sugar.  The sugar level would be good if you'd had a shock but not otherwise, they are heavy handed with the sugar.

There was three little boys playing on skis at the hut, relatives (of the boys that work for Ski Him) up from Tang Marg for the day.  Guides in training for the future.  I had fun playing with them showing them how to snow plough.

Went for a walk up to the market for lunch, had yummy cauliflower soup and Jim had a vegie & paneer (cottage cheese) burger.  He was after something not spicy after having an extremely spicy meal on Sunday night, a good bye meal to Adele and the girls.  It is still spicy for Jim if you know what I mean.

Snow (10cms) is predicted for tomorrow.  This time last week 10cms was predicted and we got 75cms. Locals are still trying to clear their roofs.  See what happens tomorrow.

The next generation ski guides

Snow plough - toes together, heels out!

Hot air balloon over the golf course

Who should we find at the market - Aftab our adopted son

Take a closer look at the men clearing the roof



1 comment:

  1. Great photos. The snow, with the fine weather looks really beautiful.
    I love this house! Is it the hotel? Wow, a lot of snow on that roof!
    This is a great shot Hap with the pine trees in the background. You'll come back a travel photographer as well as a travel writer!
    Chat soon xx

    ReplyDelete