Tuesday 4 June 2013

Beautiful spring flowers


Monday 3 June
Today we headed for Cotehele – an old Tudor home maintained by the National Trust, once again so close by to visit, only a twenty-minute drive.  
Our plan was to go for a walk first then wander around the gardens of the house.  
We parked the car and walked an hour to the Tamar Pub for lunch. 
It was a flat walk except for one hill through a beautiful wooded area that ran alongside the Tamar River.  The path was a picture with all the multi-coloured spring flowers.  
Along the walk Lola and Jack collected spring flowers for me to put in my hat.  Not sure how long I will be wearing the hat, when I saw the photos I thought I looked like a ‘simple minded’ old woman.  That is the good thing about the e-age anything can be deleted.


Another great thing about Cornwall is most places are dog friendly.  You can pretty much take your dog most places with you – cafes, pubs and restaurants.
As I mentioned above most places will allow dogs except for Cotehele House so we decided to go to the café near the car park instead, which was dog friendly and had afternoon tea - guess what we had.

On the way back to the car we bought a bunch of rhubarb at a stand selling tomato seedlings and posies of fresh flowers (as well as rhubarb).  Driving to Cotehele we passed a few of these stands set up outside houses selling numerous produce, mainly strawberries, tomatoes, rhubarb and flowers.  The payment system is an honour system.  Isn’t that great. 

Who is the silly old woman in the hat?

Looking down from the look out

The bridge you can see in the distance in the photo above

The streetscape near the pub, further along from the bridge

Walking along the Tamar

Looking down to the old mill near the carpark

1 comment:

  1. Oh, be still my beating heart!! Are you trying to torture me Hap??? I WANT to be there too!! I'll be dreaming of England tonight - that 'green & pleasant land'. Have a cornish pastie for me....and a pint of warm bitter for Davo!

    Looks sooooo beautiful in the spring. I have always wanted to see Tintagel & Doc Martin's village too & it sounds like you are loving it all. I can't believe you've been away 6 months already! Glad you got some replacement undies! Marks & Spencer?

    Keep us posted, stay safe

    Cheers from Melbourne xxx

    ReplyDelete