Wednesday 24 April 2013

Orchha to Khajuraho Tuesday 23 April


Woke up to rain showers this morning.  It was nice to see rain puddles on the river and smell the perfume of the gardens.  It didn’t last long though as the heat soon followed. 

The drive to Khajuraho was 4 hours and uneventful, which is a good thing to say when you’re travelling on the roads in India.  
Jim and I swapped seats, he had a funny tummy (must have been the chicken noodles he had last night) so was feeling flat and wanted to lie down on the back seat.  I couldn’t say no could I to a sickie even though I wanted to.  I am happier in the back watching the chaos from there. 

Our accommodation this road trip is more up market, which is lovely because the décor is grander and the beds are bigger and softer but at the same time they can be impersonal.  I prefer the smaller places.  They have more character.  We are staying at the Usha Bundela Hotel.

Last night I saw traditional dancers.  Jim was still feeling flat so I went alone.  
Mukesh, the local tour operator offered to take me on his motorbike.  I was tempted but then I thought I should be sensible and say no.  I have read about too many road accidents in the local paper.  Deepak drove me in the car instead. 
It was a community show.  All young dancers, 12 in total, some better than others.  The costumes were bright and colourful.  It made me laugh because there was a bit of talking behind the curtains during the acts and before each dance there was a puff of smoke on the stage for ambiance, didn't really go with an Indian cultural dance performance.   They performed 8 dances from different parts of India.

Below photos are of the hotel foyer.




1 comment:

  1. nice hotel Happy , looks very swish ,poor Jim , i hope he's feeling better now ,can't trust those noodles . xx

    ReplyDelete