Wednesday 6 February 2013

Girls lunch

I had a girls lunch yesterday at "Cloves" a restaurant at Khyber, the only five star resort in Gulmarg.

Google Khyber Resort Gulmarg.  It really is beautiful.  It opened its doors just before Christmas.  It is a decent climb up a windy road near the gondola,  the views are breathtaking.  Unfortunately I didn't have my phone on me to take any photos.


It wasn't really a girls lunch because there wasn't any girls or wine.  I had to imagine both.  What I'd give for both at the moment, the girls more so.  It is fun with girls and wine because then it becomes silly with lots of laughs.
I had saffron and snapper risotto, can you believe it.  I couldn't, when I read the menu.  It is quite extensive and impressive.  There was New Zealand lamb and Angus beef.  The dessert menu was inviting, offering bitter chocolate mousse cake and frozen berry panacotta.  I didn't have enough money on me for dessert but I made do with a long black coffee.  It had a beautiful de creme on the top (sign of  a good coffee I have read) and tasted so good.

I had to ask the waiter how much the tax was before I ordered the coffee because the prices are five star which they should be and are "tax applicable".  Imagine how embarrassing it would be not to have enough cash to pay for lunch.  I normally walk around with 500rps ($10) in my pocket.  Luckily, I grabbed another 1000rps before I left the hotel room.  I didn't even think about the expense of lunch.  

I will venture back before we leave and visit the coffee shop "Chaikash" for another real brewed coffee and take some photos.

Today is another day and I have not suffered food poisoning as a few of you might be thinking ordering fish so far away from the ocean.

Soon I will venture out to do my xcountry circuit around the golf course followed by a visit to the market for fruit and stop off at Baski's for lunch for a yummy vegetable burger 100rps ($2), our normal budget.

The one metre of snow did arrive over the past few days.  It was not as light as powder as hoped for but  still well needed snow.  Today is a beautiful sunny day and Jim is out and about with Ski Him guests working on his goggle tan.  I purchased sunblock the other day so hopefully my tan will not be so obvious.  Our faces are starting to look like those weather beaten faces of Himalayan people you see on National Geographic.

A regular scene after a snowfall - at end of our street




2 comments:

  1. Thinking of you Happy, out enjoying girls corporate luncheons, I will imagine I was with you. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely that you are splurging on 5 star Hap.....even without the girls. It sounds wonderful, shame you missed dessert though......I'd have gone with the mousse......yum. I had a laugh about your tv interviews.....a natural extension to your very informative and entertaining travel blog.

    I can imagine how much you're missing your good friends, but you seem to be making the most of your time in Gulmarg. Enjoy everything about the experience. Take care xxxxx.

    ReplyDelete