Thursday 2 January 2014

Cross Roads in Life

Early mid life crisis, mature aged gap year: you can call it what you want.  I am sure our family and friends each have their own thoughts on why and what we are doing. 

I prefer to call it ‘living abroad for a year’.  
We have been living (not in the conventional way) in a few different countries with sightseeing along the way.  Catching up with friends from Australia living abroad (I love saying that – abroad, sounds posh) and with friends met over the years travelling who are from abroad: spending time with them on their home ground.

It all started with Lisa and Kenny in Dubai.  We stayed with them for a few weeks.  A big ask - their work lives are demanding and stressful, then having to return home in the evening to people in your apartment.  I’d like to think we added light relief even if it seemed a bit much at the time.  We also got to share holidays with them in Kovalam and San Sebastian both which were good fun.  Sharing my 49th birthday in Kovalam with them will remain one of the highlights of this trip. 

In the UK we have Karen and Dave our English friends who we met in Fiji 10 years ago.  They provided us with a base to come and go from in Cornwall.  They supported us from the day we landed in the UK with their generosity.  They shared everything they have with us:  family, friends and possessions.  
In France we have to thank Carolyn & John (ex Falls Creek people) who let us stay for a few weeks and live with them as part of their family.  Another big ask - to have a couple in your house with the normal day-to-day happenings.  It was nice to belong and we were thankful for that.

We had many laughs with them all along the way and would happily share our home and lives with them whenever we can.

Once again we have to thank Laurel (a good friend from Qld) for sharing her holidays with us.  Giving Jim and I a reprieve from each other.  It was brave of her to agree to spend nearly a month with a couple no matter how good friends they are.  Lucky for us she knows how to deal with us both as a couple and as individuals.  
Then there is Wendi (a good friend from Tawonga) who spent a few days with us in Bramford, UK.  She was a lifesaver or should I say weight gainer.  Wendi is a naturopath and bought some tonics for me all the way from Tawonga to help me rid myself of the pesky Indian worm which, I always seem to pick up there.  I have the remainder of the tonics in my bag so I am armed and ready for this visit.  Shame really, I like being a bit thinner but not at the expense of the worm eating up the nutrients which I should be getting from my food. 

I know a few of you will be thinking ‘Happy is being all touchy feely again’ and I am, like I said in the previous blog the thought of being without Jim for the next two months is making me emotional.

The hardest part of our time away will be returning to Australia to set up home and find work. 
The reasons we left are still there – the cross roads of life – which way to go – work vs lifestyle.  Something we chose to put aside for this period of time in our lives.  Take a year or so off from the daily grind.  I know a few of you will be thinking ‘aren’t they lucky they can do it’ and yes we are but it comes at a price.  The obvious being financial, it is probably not the smartest move financially but once again we chose to do this knowing the consequences.  It has definitely been worth it.  We will have to remember to tell ourselves this come April when we are struggling to settle and find work.

The valley, for many years (20+) offered the perfect lifestyle for us but then something changed.  The balance of work and lifestyle shifted causing an imbalance more so for Jim than me.  Let’s face it - I had a great life.  For the past few years only working part time, being able to study the things I wanted to, skiing whenever it suited me, surrounded by a great group of like-minded friends.  All my lifestyle choices were fulfilled.  Jim’s career at Falls Creek had gone as far as he could go – he was questioning himself and his life hence the move to Sydney.  Looking back the move was perhaps a bit too extreme for us after so many years in quiet and laid back surroundings.   Hence another decision - time out - let’s put our normal or what is considered normal lives on hold.  Now that time out is coming to an end, we are making our way home.  Time to resume our 'normal lives’. 

The big decision ‘ the cross roads of life’ - which way to go!

We (more so me pushing Jim because of the work options) have decided to give Point Lonsdale a go.  We are both hoping Geelong will provide work opportunities that the valley can’t give us.  It is not the mountains but the quiet seaside atmosphere is more to our liking than the never-ending noise of Sydney.  Our year in Sydney was a comfortable one which, wouldn't have been affordable without Stu & Rita's generosity.  Most people would think we were mad to give it up.  We tried to make it happen but our hearts just weren't into it. 
We aren't doing Pt L alone; we have a couple of good friends and Nan & Ed, Jim’s elderly (sorry Nan, she will hate me using that word, I am using it to explain to others) aunty and uncle.  They are very happy we will be close by for younger company (Nan's words not mine -  hard to believe I know but compared to being 80+) and to help them out with IT and household problems.  It will be good for us to give back, not having had any kids of our own.  Both my parents and Jim’s are sad we are not heading north but the timing is not right at the moment. 

The enthusiasm from our family and friends has also made this trip enjoyable for us.  Having weekly Skype sessions with our parents, being able to share with them our home for that week or night.  Without their emotional support and encouragement it wouldn’t have been as much fun. 

I will post another blog tonight from Delhi to say goodbye, at least for the next month or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment